Group Name: Tourism Development Initiative (TDI)
Objective: Tourism Development Initiative
This group is for anyone interested to support and provide enhancement for Nigerian tourist industry. Nigeria has over 250 ethnic groups with diverse culture and socio-cultural differences and these attracted international recognition making Nigeria a good center for tourism. Nigeria has ample cultural history and natural attractions with ethnic events which have tourist potentials round the year. Tourism can be a major source of revenue generation as most travelers are attracted to unique and exotic culture and environments unlike something they are used to. Different festivals from different regions in the country are ripe tourism interests. Some of these festivals include Argungu Fishing festival, New yam festival, Atilogwu dancers, the boat Regatta, the Olofin festival, the Olojo and so forth. Some traditional way of life are still preserved in local customs, illustrative native arts and lifestyle.
Tourism market is ripe for foreign investors and individuals who want to take advantage of the profitable industry. Some challenges Nigeria faces even though it has high tourism prospects include poor infrastructure like good roads, constant electricity, security challenges, bad international reputation,poor management of existing tourist facilities, inadequate funding, corruption and so forth. Members of TDI are tasked with roles and responsibilities of developing and building the tourism potentials in Nigeria and preserving the cultural heritage at the same time through collaboration, conferences and seminars.
To proffer workable methods of maximizing the revenue generation potentials of tourism and sustaining customs and traditions.
1. To work with the appropriate organization on the creation of job and employment opportunities through tourism (hospitality services such as hotels and resorts, transportation services, food services like restaurant, entertainment services like amusement parks, theaters) by working with with existing service providers.
2. To alleviate poverty by generating income via tourism through collaboration with ministry of culture and tourism.
3. To preserve our cultural heritage by encouraging community involvement and participation in traditions and art appreciation.
4. To preserve the ecosystem and biodiversity by partnership and education of the young people on the beauty of customs and traditions.
5. To develop strategies that will attract foreign investment and investors.
6. To promote local communities where the tourist sites exist through activities, learning of the local language and participation in their festivals.
7. To organize conferences and seminars aimed at improving tourism in Nigeria.
All registered NDF members are eligible for this specialist group.
Back to Professional Groups